Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Molding an entire universe all my own


I'm a big proponent of creator-owned material. There's something about molding your vision and doing it the way you want it to be done. You have an intrinsic freedom to tell your story they way you want to tell it. There are creators who THRIVE in this environment - Robert Kirkman, Jamal Igle, Greg Rucka to name a few. There are also creators so fed up with the editorial of corporate comics that they just go out and try to find their own projects to tell the stories they wish to tell.

This is what makes comics a true art-form.

Every comic I've penned is creator owned. Mack Turner: Slayer of the Dead is my vision of zombies, Steel Creek is an homage to Clint Eastwood and the Westerns that inspired my time studying film at Ithaca College. Patriot-1 is the story I've always wanted to tell - the story about a soldier who simply represents the basic ideals and moral righteousness of an entire nation.

My next graphic novel does indeed utilize a public domain character. But it's one that fascinates me, as I've mentioned. However, the story surrounding this character is entirely original and it will play directly into the universe that's being created now.