Thursday, October 10, 2013

Wow... it's October... and the 800-pound Comic Con in the room

So I neglected the blog a bit.

But for good reason!

I swear it wasn't just Grand Theft Auto V, Disney Infinity and Splinter Cell: Blacklist came kind of all at once.
 
I've been completely entrenched in a new project. One that I've mentioned here and there, but now I've got an artist and I'm moving forward full steam.

I'll probably have it announced this weekend to make good use of the #NYCC hashtag.

Speaking of NYCC, I'm still debating whether I want to go. I'm only going one day for a few hours tops, but the thought of trekking into the city on a Friday, getting to the Javits Center, dealing with the full range of fanboy/girl (you know, the regulars, the casual fans and then the "OOO I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS" type), and all of that is keeping me from fully committing.

You see, I haven't been to NYCC since 2011. I went for 4 years straight. I hated that they moved it to October, but I still went. I went to NYCC the weekend of my brother's wedding in 2010 because I was being strung along by a publisher that they had interest in my work when in reality they were kind of jerks about the entire affair. I've made a lot of "con-friends" and many of whom have become friends I speak to every so often on Facebook.

Then there was 2011. That year I was ambitious. I had moderate success at smaller cons, so that year I decided to go all-out and get a table for TJ Comics.

Talk about a great learning experience and one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. You see, when you exhibit at these big cons - primarily San Diego and New York - you are competing with Marvel and DC. And Image. And BOOM!. And, well, everyone. The convention organizers are more than willing to take your money, they offer little assistance or sympathy. Then they pool you with completely unrelated neighbors. For example, I was across from a fetishy superhero fan-film thing and next to a group of guys who did amateur work in a basement.

TJ Comics is quality work. The books I publish are held to high standards, but I was lost in the sea. I had also foolishly rushed to print a 12-page all ages book as an "NYCC exclusive" to try and drum up interest in the brand. Not to mention I went to every publisher looking for work... it is a trade show after all ... but they have zero interest in anyone outside of their respective circles.

Let me just be frank. I lost a lot of money. I lost so much money and left the Javits Center that final Sunday of the con completely dejected. I gave serious thought to shutting down TJ Comics and giving up on the comic dream.

It was bad.

Rather than fully giving up, I put TJ Comics on hiatus to focus on my passion project, Patriot-1. Following it's rejection from a major publisher, I spent 3 months completely rewriting it into what it is now, and I love it. Though I lost the artist attached at the time, I found a better one.

I avoided NYCC 2012 like the plague. I redesigned TJComics.com, Patriot-1 became what I always wanted it to be, it's almost like I was reborn. But, I didn't want to deal with the people and I still had a really bad taste in my mouth from the year prior. 

This year though, I'm indifferent to it. I can only tolerate one day for a few hours, but I'd like to see some friends and comic acquaintances. Buy a copy of Molly Danger personally from Jamal Igle, look for cool collectibles and be amongst my people. But getting there is a hassle and I really do only have a few hours... having two 11 month old babies limits what your better half will let you get away with.

I'm irked that the organizers no longer hold professional hours on Thursday from 10-3, which is why I didn't go today. But I'm still deciding if I want to take the train, grab a cab, deal with New York City on a Friday, go to the con for a few hours, get a cab, take the train and all that.

That's what's become of these big cons. They are so big and so outlandish, they are becoming a chore for some of the most die hard comic fans and creators.

No comments:

Post a Comment